7 March 2010

Girl Gets Bike.

Cable Street, East London.

I am now the proud owner of a Pashley Princess Classic!

The day started off on a good note: no rain & bright sunshine - which is exactly what I'd hoped for... not to say that I'm going to be a fairweather rider, but I really didn't want my 1st experience of riding through the city to be in the wind and rain.

As the weather was nice but stil pretty cold, I went for the cycle-outfit that I thought would be practical for the weather, but still stylish (it was really too chilly for one of my new tea dresses):

Coat: Warehouse
Jeans: Topshop
Vintage Saddle Bag: Absolute Vintage

I also had on a wonderful vintage diamante Bike Brooch that I bought & promised I'd wear the day I went to collect the Pashley :)

The Boy set off on his Ridgeback & I made my way on the train to London Bridge to meet him there, as he was going to be my guide home... and make sure that I didn't break my arse attempting to cycle! It was funny being sat on the Underground, knowing that this wasn't going to be my transport back to base. Not going to lie - there was a real element of nerves and fear about cycling back home, after having not been on a bike for years & using real roads... but of course I was excited about it too.

Got to On Your Bike, met The Boy & sorted out the last of the CycleScheme paperwork. When the man dealing with me wheeled out the Pashley from the storeroom, my heart melted - it was glorious, graceful & mine. This was also the 1st time that The Boy had seen the Pashley and he was also very impressed with how great it looked too. They were very helpful in OYB: the lights had already been fitted for me, and they made sure that the Saddle and Bars were the correct height and comfortable before I set off.

And then it was all down to me.

We walked our bikes to a quiet area near to Monument station (I didn't realise such a thing existed) and I had a practice-cycle. It was certainly much needed, as I really couldn't find my balance for a while which was a worry for both of us! The lack of balance was a combination of getting used to being back on a bike, building my confidence up & not wanting to smash the Pashley on its 1st outing! Eventually that old adage "you never forget how to ride a bike" kicked in, and I was doing it! We set off on the planned cycle-route back to East London - I rode in front & Boy followed, to watch how I cycled & I know to keep an eye on me. Other than being really wary of the cars on the road, it was such a free feeling. Already I predict my addiction to cycling and the Pashley will be pretty big...

I feel that I'm not quite at the point of being able to write a full review on it, even after having done the ride home. There is still so much to learn about the Pashley: exactly how it handles etc. What I can say though: the ride was smooth, and more than enjoyable & has got me psyched-up about cycling as much as I can. It's a beautiful example of craftmanship & really captures the romance of riding.

Getting back on the Saddle (especially this one) may have been the best decision I've made in a long time.
SHARE:

15 comments

danae said...

You look great on your Pashley!! As you say, it will take a bit of time to get into the swing of it but enjoy it!

A quick Pashley tip that i didn't realise when I got mine: stop pedalling before shifting down into a lower gear. Took me ages to work that one out, and i was getting stuck halfway up hills!

Lady Vélo said...

@ danae: Thank you Hun! I really do love how it looks and feels :)

Thank you for the tip! I did have a moment on it when I had to change gears, so what you've pointed out makes a lot of sense!

Can't wait to get back out again and ride :)

Sox said...

It sounds like you had a great time; you looked smashing! And I love learning new words. Both winklepickers (and the somewhat more ominous 'brothel creepers') will have to be somehow incorporated into my vocabulary. I'm glad I tumbled across your blog.
Keep having fun!

Lady Vélo said...

@ Sox: It was brilliant! From the colleting it from the shop to cycling all the way home - great feeling indeed!

Indeed - I thought it best to put a link to Winklepickers to explain what they are - I love that style of shoe :) And yes... 'brothel creepers' is quite an 'interesting' name for footwear - haha!

Have been checking out your blog also - very nice :)

'Xander@416cyclestyle said...

Can't Wait for the Spring fashions to arrive... Classic English steel bicycles have a certain charm..

'Xander

Kristin Tieche said...

You and your bike are gorgeous!

Mark said...

Looking good! Glad you had a good first outing on the lovely new bike. Hub gears do take a little getting used to changing; you can't put any preassure on the pedals as you change, but you can change up and down whilst stationary which is great if you have to make a quick stop and want to get off gracefully again.

Can't wait to hear more about your exploits!

Can't believe we were both on the Cable St cycle path on the same day and both blogged about it. Small world or what?!

Lady Vélo said...

@ Xander: Neither can I - the wardrobe remix I already have planned out will (I hope) work well with the Pashley - I get what you mean about the charm of English steel bicycles :)

@ Kristin: Thank you kindly - that means a lot coming from you!

@ Mark: Thank you very much! It was a good 1st outing, even with the incident I mentioned over on your blog... it's not put me off at all. Thanks also for the tip on the gears - I really do need to get used to them and keep grace as I stop!

And yes - it is a small world indeed! One day our LDN paths will surely cross! :)

Ramona W. said...

love it, Lady! The pashley princess is a gorgeous, well made cycle. I had the good fortune to borrow a princess in January, in Portland (aka cyclist's paradise, usa)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/warbin/4239685220/in/set-72157623051976745/

Can't wait to see you on bike wardrobe on remix, you'll be the cutest!

anna said...

Sounds lovely. Have a lot of fun biking!

Lady Vélo said...

@ Ramona - Thank you & cheers for visiting my blog! Yep - the Pashley Princess is a thing of beauty :) Great photo of you with one - you look fantastic with it!

I'll be uploading to Wardrobe Remix asap - I'm Lady LDN on Flickr... see you over there soon :)


@ anna: Thank you & thanks for visiting too! :)

Emma J said...

Very stylish! and a beautiful bike. Looks like you will have miles of fun.

Lady Vélo said...

@ Emma - Thank you! Still impressed with how gorgeous the Pashley is! I'm certainly intending on having fun with this :)

Jonathan said...

I think I have a little Pashley-jealousy... might just think about swopping my old tourer for an old shopper!

Keep up the progress - you're serving as inspiration to my girl, which is bloody marvellous :)

Lady Vélo said...

@ Jonathan - Sorry if I've given you Pashley-Envy :) Thank you for coming to my blog & the encouragement.

Very flattered to hear that I'm inspiring someone - especially another girl - is she about to hop on the Saddle too?

© V E L O C I T Y G I R L | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig